CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

K5 Learning Review

K5 learning - Main Logo - 200 px

Recently, I was given the opportunity of a 6 week trial period to use K5 Learning, an online reading and math program for kids from kindergarten through grade 5.  I have made a list of pros and cons based on my 6 week trial. I do recommend that you try K5 learning for yourself.  You can get a free 14 day trial by visiting K5 Learning.

Pros
  • Free online assessment. The assessment is used to determine your child's skill level. I found this to be a useful tool.
  • The lessons were adequate and challenging.
  • Parents can decide which grade level is appropriate for their child.
  • Parents can choose which assignments are to be completed. 
  • Math Facts are timed but you can adjust the time limit to fit your child's needs. 
  • Reports are available to parents, which chart your child's progress.
Cons
  • The tutorials are a little slow. My daughter reads faster than the automated prompter speaks. The program will not allow answers to be selected until it finishes with the prompt. She would get frustrated waiting for the prompter to finish a sentence, in order to answer the questions.
  • The prompts are too repetitive. If my daughter was taking her time to make her selected answer, the prompt would repeat itself. The program continued this until an answer was selected. It was very distracting, when my daughter was trying to concentrate on the selections.
  • The price of $25/month  or $199/yr is too steep for our needs. If I was a home schooling mom, I might feel differently but I have used at least one other similar program that is less than half the cost of K5 Learning.
If you try the free 14 day trial, leave me a comment to let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...