CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Using Multiplication To Practice Addition

We use flashcards often, when quizzing Alexis on her math facts. She is doing so well, I thought I would try out some multiplication. She caught on very quickly and can easily tell me the answers to the 0, 1, 2, 5, 10 tables.

We are still working on addition but she is now asking to do multiplication instead. I was worried that too much multiplication would only confuse her when they are only doing addition and subtraction in first grade. It was suggested to me that we give her problems such as 3*1 + 2*4 =__. This way she will still be practicing addition facts.


I grabbed up a piece of scrap paper and wrote out some problems. I was amazed when she began showing me how she got her answers.  She doesn't just have the multiplication facts memorized but she actually understands how to get the answers. I was most impressed when she stated 1*0 was the same as 0+0. 

Now I need to come up with some multiplication game ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...