CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

US History: American Indians


I wanted to work history into our after school lessons so I have been researching several history curriculum.  History Odyssey looks very appealing to me but for now I am going to stick to the free stuff.  The only free lesson plans I have found is Guest Hollow. Although I do prefer a secular curriculum, Guest Hollow does have some good book suggestion. 

For history I decided to start with the American Indians and work through American history chronologically. We are reading The Birchbark House per the suggestion of Guest Hollow. The Birchbark House is about an Ojibwe family told from the viewpoint of 7 year old Omakayas. The story takes place on an island in Lake Superior. When the white men come and want the tribe to move west, Omakayas realizes life may never be the same.

We plan to spend over a month studying American Indians, because there is so much to learn on that one topic alone. Also locally there will be an Indian Powwow at Shakamak State Park in Jasonville, Indiana on September 17-18, 2011. We will end our study by attending the powwow and experiencing the American Indian culture first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...